Sunday, June 22, 2008

How it all began

My adventure began far before my flight actually took off for Germany. Last summer I proposed the idea of moving abroad to John and Michelle. I knew I had always wanted to live in another country, but wasn't quite sure how it would all happen. Although I am pretty sure they thought I had lost my mind during a good portion of the last 9 months, they were so supportive the entire time. Ariane, a member of the German practice, and Udo, a Human Capital Partner in Germany, also helped a great deal in making this international assignment possible. I was able to meet with Udo in NYC on my way back from Costa Rica (I know, New York is not exactly "on the way back" to Chicago) then things started rolling from there.



Fast forwarding to June...

The month of June was consumed with moving apartments, piling all of my belongings into storage, wrapping up my last Deloitte US project, and visiting with friends and family one last time.

At the Human Capital Silent Auction and Boat Cruise.
Lindsay, Thuong, and I met three years ago when we started at Deloitte together and have been inseparable since then. Not enough for me to become an actuary though.

Brieanna, Katie, Me, and Alissa all hanging out in our favorite couch in Chicago.

Alissa and I at the Shedd Aquarium for our Deloitte Summer Outing.

My last week on the client project turned in to a terrible and awesome week all in one. Along with several others that attended our work event at the Shedd Aquarium over the weekend, I got food poisoning. What a disaster!

During mid recovery, I flew down to the client for my last two days of work. Once my stomach was feeling better, things still just didn't feel right. I had hoped to receive my work permit that week so I could fly to Germany this weekend for the German Practice meeting and EMEA Conference. After doing my typical pros and cons list about going early with out a visa and a rather convincing text from my brother, I knew the right thing to do was GO! Just go for it!

The craziness began late Thursday night and didn't end when I landed in Munich on Monday morning. I spent my last day in the office on Friday sending out good bye emails, turning in my laptop, and rushing back to my apartment where Abbey (aka amazing packer) was patiently waiting for me. My parents decided last minute to come to Chicago too! Lindsay arrived Saturday morning to help me and Abbey get the rest of my life organized. We spent the rest of Saturday at Soldier Field attending the BEST country music concert ever. My parents arrived safely to my cousins´apartment in the city and amazingly were wide awake when we showed up at midnight.

The two ladies leaving Chicago for Germany and California. Thank goodness for gchat!

Lindsay, Me, Mel, and Abbey enjoying tailgating before the concert.


Me and thousands of my closest friends packed Soldier Field to hear one of the best country music concerts ever played.

We all had brunch at my favorite place in the city on Sunday morning. Then we packed up two car loads full of people and luggage and headed to the airport.

Lindsay and Thuong carrying all of what remained in my old apartment to give to Aaron and Molly.

My parents surprised me on Saturday morning by driving 7 hours from Minnesota to see me before I left. Yes, all of those boxes are mine.

My Chicago cousins, Aaron and Molly, came to the airport with us. We definitely needed the 2nd car for all of my luggage.


My flight was delayed by 3 hours which meant I was going to miss my ride to the conference in Germany. What a great start... I quickly forgot about that when I sat down in my Business Class seat. AMAZING! I am already dreading the rest of my flights back in economy.
8 hours later, we landed...

No comments: