Monday, August 25, 2008

Der Allgäu

A trip to the Allgäu

I went with Maggie down to the Allgäu for a weekend to visit her family and friends and go hiking.

Hiking near Lake Constance


The hike is just getting started! Thankfully the rain held off for most of our hike.

Maggie and I on top of the mountain overlooking Lake Constance.





Everyone in Germany and Austria has beautiful flowers in window boxes and covering their front yards.

You had to watch out for the cow pies! This was one of the first fields we cut through after we got out of the woods.


You know that you are at the highest point of a mountain when you find the cross.



Cutting through a field on our way back down the mountain.




Even with all of the clouds, there were spectacular views of the towns around Lake Constance.




The clouds have covered most of the mountain right next to us.

Another great view of the lake and surrounding towns.


All of the trails that we walked on were on farmers´ land in Austria. We were literally walking through cow pastures and climbing under or over fences to get to the next trail. It felt like going for a walk at home in Minnesota. I am not exactly sure on the specifics of the agreement between the farmers and the government, but they are required to allow people to walk these paths through their land. This would never happen in the U.S. unless it was public land!




Taking a break to enjoy the view.

Maggie thought they were adorable.


Lindau

After the hike, we met up with one of Maggie´s friends and walked around Lindau. It is one of many very touristy towns that are along the lake. It was very pretty and had a lot of painted old buildings. Of course after the tour of the town we had to refuel on cake and coffee. We found a restaurant on top of a building and had a great view over the town and lake while we ate.





Beautiful flowers that will make you very sick if you eat them.


The Food!
Maggie´s mom made the most delicious Vietnamese food I have ever had. I even got to help prepare some of it.



Spring Rolls are cooking. Every was so delicious.


The feast! I had never had so many different herbs in my food. Every time I made something I used different leaves. Maggie´s dad kept picking out the ones that I needed to try or if he noticed I didn't get enough the last time.


This was a favorite, a spring roll wrapped with herbs in a piece of lettuce and dipped in fish sauce. When Maggie and her brothers and sister were younger, their mom used to go in to the kitchen of the Vietnamese restaurant that they were at to make them their own fish sauce. It is that good!



I made these! They don't look as pretty now that they are cooked, but they were delicious. Maggie´s dad grows all of their own herbs in their back yard. I took small pieces of raw meat and wrapped them in these purple leaves. Maggie´s mom doesn't speak much English so we both had to rely on our German to cook together.


Maggie and I are waiting at the train station to go back to Munich.


What a great weekend with the Ngo family!

No comments: