Sunday, December 14, 2008

Christkindlesmarkt in Nuremburg

Christmas Market #3 in Nuremberg


Nuremberg is one of the most well known Christmas markets in the world. I was not about to let the rest of the eager Christmas shoppers beat me there! I got on an early train from Munich to beat the crowds. I thought I would sight see a bit, get some breakfast and coffee, and scope out the vendors as they started to open.

Once I made my way inside the large wall that surrounds the town center, it was completely silent. Cafes, including the 3 Starbucks in the small town, were not going to open until noon. No people on the street. Apparently everyone was still sleeping.





I made my way to the other end of the town at the top of the hill to see the castle. The Nuremberg Castle is one of the most important imperial palaces dating from the Middle Ages: from 1050 to 1571 all the emperors of the Holy Roman Empire stayed in it at various times during their reign.



Since it was still too early for the market to be open, I found a few churches to go inside. A children's choir was practicing before mass in this church.


I finally spotted a few other people walking through the city on another bridge.

Shopping time! I had already walked through the market once and scoped out the things I wanted to buy. I found lots of great ornaments, decorations, and delicious food on my next pass through.

I got most of my shopping done in the morning so I could avoid the masses of people that flooded the streets by the afternoon. I hung out in a coffee shop while I read a photography book and practiced using different settings on my camera.


Edge of the Market during the day. There is a gold ring on the fence surrounding this tower that people lined up for later in the day to touch for good luck.

Similar view at night with everything is illuminated at the market.


More lights strung along the edge of the market.

On my last trip through the market, I stopped to listen to a band performing in front of the church.

Frohe Weihnachten! You are supposed to by your sweetheart one of the cookies and have them wear it around their neck all day. I think cookies are for eating.




Looking back at the Christkindlesmarkt on my way to the train station.


One of the lookout towers along the wall that surrounds Nuremberg.
Christmas shopping is officially done! I showed Maggie all of my treasures that I found for myself and for others. I turned up my Mariah Carey Christmas CD and decorated my apartment and packed the gifts into my suitcase. Less than one week and I would be off to the US to celebrate Christmas with friends and family.

No comments: